February 27, 2009

grapes

The taste of summer. Especially the red ones! At the house I grew up in, my dad grew grapes outside my sister's window on a tall trellis (it was tall because my dad is tall and he still wanted to walk under it!). The grapes still grew, and it was fun to see them turn from small, bitter and green into round, red, sweet drops of summer. 
I have been enjoying them all week from the base grocery store, and thinking about other smells and tastes of summer. 

Another smell of summer for me is the smell of hot water coming through metal, just like the smell of water rushing out of a garden hose. Mark just put in a new shower head for me and it smells just like that!! When I turn on the water I put my nose close and take a deep breath. Just like summer! 

If you could bottle a smell or taste of summer, what would it be for you? I'm really curious!

7 comments:

Beth said...

Fresh cut grass. I loved the smell after my dad would mow the lawn. We don't get that yummy smell here.

Anonymous said...

Paul here-I love that smell right before the 1 and only thunderstorm growing up. You know what i'm talking about. and when you smell that, you look up and pray that it actally does rain so it will cool off from 110 degrees

Jayci said...

mm Paul, I know just what you're talking about. It's a warm, hot watery smell that rises from the hot concrete. I LOVE THAT SMELL too!! Hot thunderstorms. AH! I miss those days on Mustang Street, setting up Umbrella houses under the gazebo. ... the good ole days.

rach said...

pinetree sap. usually my summers growing up consisted of playing in the woods behind my house.

aubreyannie said...

oh i love the smell of fresh cut grass too. it is divine. and i love the faint smell of the chlorine at the outdoor pools. and i don't know what it is but there is a specific smell that is distinctive to seattle that is a mixture of humidity and warmth and water and flowers that i absolutely adore. i love summers here!

Ashley said...

I found your blog off my sis-in-law Jordan's link and just love it! This may sound strange but my favorite summer smell is hot, dry dirt that you can only find in the dessert. It's got that musty smell that reminds me of HOT WEATHER - which is something I'm missing right now!

Mars said...

I love red grapes. My fav. That's so awesome your dad grew them out Tessa's window. Midnight snack? haha jk.

I LOVE the smell of hot water coming through the metal too (garden hose). I love the smell of wet pavement too. I agree with everyone else too, fresh cut grass, swimming pools.

I love the smell of tanning lotion/oil, bbq's going around dinner time, flowers, and this one is weird but wet dirt, like when you're washing your car & all the dirt is in the gutter. maybe it's a mixture of the wet concrete & the hose too...

I heart summer!