I am in LOVE with these kitchen tables!! Above, it's 4.5'x4.5' and below, the table is about as big as ours right now.
Reasons we would need/want a new kitchen table:
Ours has:
1. termites (we can't kill them! and they love leaving their sawdust piles for me to dust up)
2. one wood panel on top is splitting apart from the rest (it has about a 1/4" of separation)
3. where the nails are pounded in on the top (it's supposed to look rustic...), it's got a major crack (just not that rustic!)
4. the pictured one is so PRETTY.
5. I wouldn't be worried about scratching the top and then having to rub it with Old English
6. the square table is a nice light color to lighten up our dark-color-furniture-dominated front room.
Reasons I am hesitant:
1. even cheap furniture is not free
2. I love our kitchen table (we might put it in the basement when it's finished as a desk)
3. the table we have is from India.... oooOOOoooo
4. the termites have never harmed us... but still. they're bugs. they must go.
5. the table matches our tv stand, coffee table and screen (pictured below in my pooch picture) and buffet table
6. it has neato benches instead of chairs (can be uncomfortable when playing games with company and you've been sitting there for 2 hours)
7. Mark and I chose it when we were newlyweds in Las Vegas
...But it has BUGS living INSIDE IT. we EAT on TOP of the BUGS!!! Opinions? Fire away... but aim for the termites.
*Additional Note: These termites are not American termites. They are straight from the table's homeland. They are very small. And they are not leaving that table. They haven't even gone into the benches or chairs yet, I keep checking.
9 comments:
I agree with Tessa.
I love our granite table top (the picture looks like it's stone something). It's durable and gives us extra weight points in a move. However, with that being said, i'm pretty sure our next table will having something with a leaf in it so you can extend it for larger parties, but this table is nice enough it can become the "formal" dining table if space allows.
buy it before someone else does.
I REALLY like the first table. The 4.5 x 4.5...a lot.
Termites does not sound fun. I would get rid of it at once :) But then again, you do what you gotta do right? I hope you find something & get a smokin' deal! You know me & how much I love a good deal. Seriously check Craigs List too...you can find awesome things on there. People who just want to get rid of super nice stuff. Just a thought...I've seen a lot of ppl get some beauties from there.
You need to be really careful about those termites. If they get into other parts of your home it can cause you problems when you have to sell. Your home will FOREVER have the label on there of having termite damage - no matter how minor - and will have to be treated for them which involves drilling little holes all around the perimeter of your house and putting some kind of poison/bait down in them and then covering them back up. The house we owned in Del Rio had them before we bought it - just under the kitchen sink and it was totally repaired, so we didn't mind. You couldn't tell they had ever been there. When it came time for us to sell though, we found that when some people saw that it had been treated - you can tell if a house has, there's no way to hide the marks in the concrete every 2 feet - or saw it in the paperwork, some did shy away from our house. The think about the concrete is that they still have to drill those holes every two feet, so if there's concrete next to your house they have to do it there too and it leaves permanant evidence of treatment. The termites definitely could get into other wood in your house and then you're stuck with that damage that you HAVE to report when you sell. I would get the table out - get it treated - save it for a desk or whatever, and get a new table. You don't want a bug-sprayed/treated table to eat on....Just my two-cents. I know it's hard to part with things that have sentimental value, but as we move around in the AF I'm coming to realize that there's more to sentimental value than just the things themselves, and sometimes the things that we use to remember certain events or time start crowding out our lives and our homes. Again, just my two-cents. :) Let us know what you decide!!!
I didn't even know tables could get termites! It makes sense though if it's made of wood.
Sounds like those little critters are the perfect reason to...
...GET THAT NEW TABLE!
It is very beautiful and even though it doesn't match your other furniture pieces, it could complement them nicely.
So I can't believe your table has termites! Yucko! I laughed out loud. I can understand though loving a piece of furniture with or without the bugs. Preferably without though. I say get the new table and rid yourself of the bugs. No bugs are good bugs inside the house.
jayci, that's gross. get rid of the table. mark will cave.
I love the stone table top. Those tables are beautiful. And ew! Termites!
My vote is for a new table. You never know where the termites will end up next in your home.
oh dear. i am not one to give advice. especially when it involves something as pretty as that table.
Post a Comment