July 2, 2008

Hike III & IV: Pioneer Ridge & Pioneer Summit

Phewwwie! I am tired this week. Tired from hiking! Tuesday was the 'women's hikes.' There were only 4 of us, and one of them was a sister-in-law of one of the lady's. So really only 3 from our ward. It was a rough hike! No wonder there were only 3! We did the Pioneer Ridge north of Anchorage and near Wasilla. Starting out, it was really warm and pretty gentle of a hike (compared to later on!). In parts (you can see a little bit of it above) we would go through canopies of bushes and trees. It was beautiful, muddy, and pretty humid inside all that brush, which meant mosquitos! The mud was pretty hilarious though trying to hop around it or make it to the little rocks; but if you missed the little rock then you landed in sometimes 5 inches of mud. There are three picnic tables along the trail, we stopped at the first one (about half way up) to eat half of our lunch. It was beautiful.
Here I am near the top. This is where we stopped to eat the rest of our lunch. My legs were exhausted but not shaking yet. If you can't tell, right when she took this picture, a cold breeze hit me. There was SUCH a temperature difference from down at the bottom (warm and humid), to up top (cold and windy). I can't believe my wimpy sketchers have taken me on so many hikes! No blisters, even. See my bear spray? We didn't need it. Thank goodness.
Here is the view from the other side, where I was facing in the picture before. We were as tall as the clouds!
This hike was classified as 'moderate' in this book we're using. It was a tough, tough hike. It was 9 miles total, and nearly a mile of elevation gain. In this video, from where we were, we kept going a little higher, I think. I say I think, because I can't really remember where I took this video. I would have taken a lot more pictures, but I didn't feel safe holding the camera out like I have in other hikes. There were some really steep scrambling parts and some ledges that we walked right next to. 

Comparing it to one of Mark's hikes, the hardest one he's done, it was Pike's Peak in Colorado. He did 26 miles in one day; 13 up, 13 down with a total elevation gain of 7 thousand feet. We did 5200 feet in 4.5 miles up! So much steeper!! But his was harder, because of the distance, and it was longer.  

Pioneer Ridge Stats: 
Distance: 9 - 12 miles
Elevation: 5200 - 6400 feet

11 comments:

{krista} said...

That second picture is so neat, it barely looks real!! I love the GREEN grass! Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

You are Wonder Woman! I love the pic of you near the top. What a gorgeous view. It looks like a really cool hike.

Chell said...

You.are.awesome!

Wow!

I have to echo Kris' comment-its so stunning, it really doesnt look real!

C&C said...

okay, you look WAY too pretty to be on a hike!

Michelle Petersen said...

You've been here such a short time and have already been able to see so many great things - that's awesome!

It's such a small world; I found the link to your blog on some of our best friends from when we were living in Anchorage - The Smedleys.

I'm glad you're enjoying your summer!

Wendy Christensen said...

Gorgeous!!! I would have loved to have been on this hike!! Cheers to number 3...

aubreyannie said...

jayci, you are fantastic! and what a gorgeous view from where you are..i love it. go! jayci! go! {me cheering for you}

KristenL said...

how amazing are you!?! You have done so many hikes this week! And it is gorgeous up there! I have to get my two bits in about that BEAUTIFUL picture of you, too! You should frame it and hang it in your front room. ;) seriously though, I love it...so, so picturesque.

Smedley Family said...

Hey hey, looks like MIchelle's made the connection . . . funny! Im so envious that I can't do the hikes. I'll see what I can do to switch my days around for my class. I would have LOVED to do Pioneer with you guys!!

MC Lewis said...

oh my gosh it looks like you guys have so much fun in that beautiful place!!

Chelsea said...

absolutely stunning! oh and the scenery is pretty too!