July 23, 2008

Hike VIII: Eagle River Walk

Yesterday while the clouds lifted and some weak sunshine shone, Mark and I took Buckwheat down to the Eagle River with us:  There were a LOT of bear tracks. After looking at how to tell black and brown bear tracks apart, I've decided these are brown bear (Grizzly) tracks. There were big bear tracks and little bear tracks - a cub!!!
Since I've had Buckwheat, he's always hated water, either from the hose, or from the bath, he won't get in it if he has the choice. When we walked close enough to the river, he got in on his own! This was after he just walked around in it. But once I took the leash, and gave Mark the camera, he actually did a little swim (I never let the leash go b/c the river was not standing still) on his own! 
He's a lot skinnier than he looks when all his fur is poofy, huh!
Tessa, this picture is for you since you love pictures of this little guy. Here he is after his bath (RIGHT after we got home). He was still sopping, so I picked him up at the door, then put him down in the bath water. He seemed a lot more at ease through this bath. Maybe he should go swimming more often.
Here's proof that the pup likes water now! 

8 comments:

Mars said...

awww little buckwheat! yay! He got in the water! You will have to take him swimming more often. PS I get scared for you everyday-you see bear tracks!!! Yikes! Bears scare me!

The Vestel's said...

Jayci...I remember these days when we were young, but also remember that if you find one, play dead and climb very high!I need to come visit you!

Anonymous said...

BUCKWHEAT IS SO TINY AND CUTE I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO SEE HIS PICTURES!

Austin said...

Ha! Buckheat is so cute!!!

kris said...

That was me by the way not austin- he was still signed in, thought i should clarify that so you wouldn't think he was all girly!

Anonymous said...

You always have the coolest pictures and stories to share! Bear tracks would really scare me!

Speaks Family said...

There's an actual Eagle River?! Hmmm, hence the name of the town. I would of thought little Buckwheat would have frozen in that water.
Meg

aubreyannie said...

i do NOT like all these bear stories. please be safe. and buckwheat is the cutest!