The story, if you dare:
Since the moose walked in through the yard, essentially covering the dog prints, we have been at ease, and the landscaper never contacted, or showed up on the day she could fix it (Tuesday, she was a no show). Yesterday we got a call asking us to pay for it.
Seriously?
We go over to talk to the only nice neighbor, and we started talking situations. Mark said, "If this were our yard and moose tracks walked through it, I don't think I'd ask anyone but the landscapers to fix it." She replied with a "yeah, me neither."
Seriously?
This morning we went to the temple to do baptisms with the youth, got home at 9:30, and got ready to paint the front room. Yes! We decided on some colors! hurray! We were very tired, so we took a nap on the couch and was awaken by the phone call from the "nasty landscaper-lady's" husband. It started somewhat civil. If anyone has met Mark, they know he doesn't raise his voice, and he certainly never swears. This man started accusing Mark of swearing at his wife, Inga... yea, she's white, when it all first happened. Then he said to Mark, "You know what happens when someone yells at a man's wife? He gets punched in the mouth!"
Seriously? Maybe in a bar.
Mark then said we can pay 1/2 of the total cost today(because there's another party at fault here who shares the responsibility - oh wait, besides the moose who obviously don't know where the property lines are). They said they'd come out next week, but then said, "We are coming in one hour. Have the money." We were courteous (at least, I thought), and said we'd have our half ready and the other guy's phone number when they got here.
The man showed up, pony tail (with blonde highlights in his dark brown hair), smoking a cigarette and all, on our driveway with the nice neighbor's husband (who really is a nice guy). When he kept telling Mark off, not letting my polite, gentleman of a husband get a word in, I start piping up. Uh-oh. A lot of people outside my family rarely see the fire spark in me. Then when Mark gets the chance to speak he brings up the threat, telling him that's not the best way to do business. The guy says, "Leave that outta this conversation." I pipe in, "Hey, you brought it into this whole ordeal when you threatened him on the phone!" So anyway, me and Mr. Ponytail have a little one on one stare-down. He throws in the towel and says, "I'm done!" I totally won. Not that this is a contest or anything. Just a thing of honor and defending the spouse without threats. Hm. I just realized maybe he doesn't know how that's done. Then while he's storming off, waving his cigarette around, he said the nice neighbor should sue us for not paying twice our contracted amount (meaning the other guy's share).
Seriously?
So after we discuss it with the nice neighbor, Mark and I decide that the best solution is for us to play "Banker," write the check for $350 dollars and be done with it. Mr. Nice Neighbor takes it over while Mr. Ponytail is fixing the warranty-spots, and brings it back (while we're prepping for more painting) saying his business only takes cash... shady.
Seriously?
I just heard the garage door go up. Mark is back from the ATM with the cash in hand. I don't think this Mr. Ponytail is going to treat this as honest money. But that's just between myself, Mark, and all you internet surfing bloggers.
Seriously, I don't like to use this word, but it kept being repeated in my head over and over and over and over again. So "all together now";SERIOUSLY!? We just paid $350 just to be Christlike, and fix a little neighborhood brawl. Wow. I really am glad I went to the temple this morning, otherwise I think I would be 50 times angrier.
Seriously.
15 comments:
Oh my GOSH! Seriously!!! WOW! That's all I can say... other than you guys handled it a lot better than we would have... it could have been SO much uglier, and that was ugly. WOW!
Seriously!? Holy freakin' crap! What nasty neighbors those lunatics are! When I hear or experience garbage like that I wonder how these people sleep at night, because really, you've got to be kidding me. I agree with Kris, you definitely handled it much better than my DH and I would have.
I hope you got a receipt for the cash you paid him or he'll be back over saying you NEVER paid. Seriously sorry about your trauma. I think the moose should have paid a cut as well. Being a quadra-ped is no excuse for his behavior.
Meg
That totally blows. Y'all are a lot better than me. I can't keep my mouth shut. I really would have let him have a piece of my mind and still wouldn't have given him any money.
You should of told him that white trailer trash shouldn't live in that neighborhood, and that grass will grow in on its own. Not to mention that this summer wont grow grass anyways with the weather! But THAT is EXACTLY why you went to the temple, and EXACTLY why I am coming up with a remark like that, being that I didn't go. Hopefully you wont have anymore outbursts. DON'T LET HIM TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!!
You are an angel - Seriously.
All I can say is...you are a better person than I am!
i'm retarded. I just read ur story twice & I dont really get it. A moose walked through your yard & you have to pay to get it fixed but your neighbors were supposed to pay for it too? Ya I'm stupid. Maybe lack of sleep plays a part but e-mail me!
too nice. i wouldn't have paid. i also would have walked through the yard again last night.
Wow! I can't believe that! I don't know what I would have done, but good for you guys. At least you have a clear conscience, right? (even though it cost $350!) I really can't believe that! I'm so sorry!
oh dear! punch in the mouth? i don't know why, but that threat sounded so random to me. why the mouth? anyway, way to stand up for your husband!
I'm with Steve. I would have gotten my money's worth and put nice big footprints in it for him. Since the moose covered up your dog's tracks and all, then there would be some proof it was damaged by your family. Or maybe write my name in it. I definitely wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut though and pretty sure if someone threatened Kevin like that he would have his gun ready. Crazy Nevada farm boy :) Well good job for being so nice.
are you kidding me?! that is terrible. you guys are the nicest people ever. i can't believe this could happen to you. and you are so nice and Christlike to just pay the money and be done with it. i'm sorry!
Wow, what an example to others. I admire what you guys did. Still cannot believe how gorgeous it is where you live, I need to come visit...maybe I can leave some footprints and jet set back to Africa? The offers there... :) Hee hee :)
I wouldn't have been so nice. I certainly wouldn't have paid anything for a yard ruined by dogs that could have EASILY been kept out by some temporary fencing, or a moose that would have ignored the fencing anyway. Those people are nuts. you should have told them to take you to small claims court - they would have lost. With nothing to keep animals out, it is their negligence that allowed the damage to occur. anyway, I wish I lived there, I would have not let you be nice ;)
Post a Comment