July 15, 2008

ice breaker broken

Last Thursday night, Buckwheat took off down the street to play with a big lab called "Hammer" that he saw. I took off to chase him down (because he LOVES the feeling of freedom). The two dogs (before I got there) chased each other onto a freshly Hydroseeded lot. The people were out there with jaws open and they started to fume. I don't blame them - it was just finished that afternoon! But it had been an hour already and they had no fencing or barriers up, and they thought I was with Hammer's owner who they already don't like. So they started to get really angry at me. If you know me, I cry pretty easily... yea, I started to tear up AFTER I was already upset. I said, "Hand me a rake! I'll FIX it." The nasty landscaping lady (sorry, I'm mad at how mad they got) said, "it's going to cost you at LEAST $350 to get the truck back out here to fix this." Then Mark and I both started to get defensive. "You know this is a natural path for bears AND moose, right? Where's the fence?" "psh, that won't happen." ".. umm.. okay. Well we'll pay for it if animals don't walk through it before Tuesday." Tuesday was the fastest the landscaping lady could fix it. 

So all weekend, Mark and I were crossing our fingers that moose or bear would walk through. Yesterday on my way to the church for the hike, I did my morning-looksey to see if there was more damage. OH MY! There was:    MOOSE TRACKS! Two different moose walked through and COVERED the dog tracks. 
Here's another view. I had taken pictures before and after for 'proof'. This was not a good situation. For them. It was good for us! 
Here's a view from the bottom: 
Then this morning while Buckwheat was staring out the window while partly dozing off, he started to bark like crazy! I thought it was a bear when I looked out the window because all I saw was the big brown bum and the thick thigh. Then he realized it wasn't a bear and stopped barking and continued whimpering like it was on his territory and he wanted to chase it. Then a BABY moose walked out from under our deck. It was adorable! It is the same cow and calf we saw about 3 weeks ago down on Eagle River. She has the hurt front left hoof that can't straighten. But the baby is getting bigger and bigger, so I am happy. Here is a picture of the cute culprits: 
Thank you, moose! We're now off the hook. 

12 comments:

{krista} said...

Oh my gosh... so funny! What GOOD luck you have. How wierd would it be to have a moose in your yard? On a regular basis? My fil said we had a moose in our yard last week, but I didn't see it, darn it.

Anonymous said...

Poor Jayci! Good job sticking up for yourself! Love the pictures!

Matt and Tanya Wonderly said...

Props to the moose! Nice save for you guys!

Darci Buhl said...

haha. I love it...especially the part where you were checking...and hoping for more damage. I'm so glad youre off the hook:)

Smedley Family said...

Very smart to say you'll wait to see if others tromp through it. Mark is very quick that guy!!!

Brittany B said...

You and Mark are too nice. I wouldn't have offered to pay since there was no fence! Good thing your reliable moose came to save the day!

Holly said...

I'm so glad it worked out for you guys, and I can't believe the people were really going to make you pay for it! I still think it's crazy that you frequently see moose, bears, etc. Amazing!

Unknown said...

Jayci!! It looks so fun there!! Hey I need your address up there so I can send you a wedding announcement! Yep, I finally am getting married and joining all you amazing married people. Its so fun to see you are doing so good... you are one of my most favorite people of ALL time!!! I wish you could be here for the wedding! (and if you do happen to be in Mesa on August 9th then you better be at the sealing! haha) Anyway, my email is ryannelson22@gmail.com. Also, if you have Christina's address too I need that one...or at least her phone number. Thanks!!!

Liz Ann said...

Good thing for Moose. I'm glad you didn't have to rake it all up by yourself.

Tim, Crista and Addy said...

OH my heavens!!! Yippee for the Moose! So glad you didn't have to pay for that. I hate it when people don't plan ahead and the inevitable happens!

Mo and Tory Reeder said...

What mean people! Who can't love a little Buckwheat! :)

We love you guys!

XOXO

Tory

aubreyannie said...

give me a break. if you've just spent that much money doing something like that you'd THINK you would put up barriers or cones or SOMEthing. thank goodness for the moose!