June 17, 2009

fabric choices - and dilemmas

Picking the fabric out for the crib has come at last!! This week Joann's is having a sale, so I thought I'd go check it out today. 

I did. 

And I left with nothing. 

I need some FEEDBACK! If you read this in the next day, please comment and tell me what you think/if you agree with my criticality (wow, that's really a word!)/or disagree completely. Yes, yes, please tell all. 

This was one of the 3 fabrics I went to go take a gander at. It's more brown in person, not sooo orange, and the diamonds are about an inch long (bigger than I thought). I like it.. but if we don't refinish the crib, the colors will clash big time with the oak wood:
This one I loved, but thought it might be too girly with it having flowers on it. What do you think??
I am currently using this (the green vine) fabric for the tree in my house square that I just showcased. I think this would look beautiful with both a refinished crib (dark, dark brown color, nearly black) OR the oak (if we ended up leaving it as is): 
This I thought, "Too girly for a boy's crib sheets!" ...I was bummed: 
I think this green might clash with the green paint we have in the room (I know, I still haven't shown any pictures of the downstairs paint... I will shortly) ... but I love it:
I thought this was cute and kind of Moses-basket-esque:
Here it is again. I had to fade the color once so that it looked more like how it did in the store:
THIS I wanted to use for something summery... but Sir Kicksalot is going to be born when it's almost autumn... soooo I'll just keep thinking of something I can use it for:
Alright! Time to leave a comment. Even people who don't blog (Megan and Caila!), and just peek. I would love some feedback. Mark is a man, and thus I turn to you...

17 comments:

MC Lewis said...

I think 1 or 6 is probably the most boy friendly. The others are way cute, but might be a little girly. Cute choices though.

Brittany B said...

I like the green vine or the moses basket type. But I'm partial to green. The first one could also look really good, but might be harder to match things too. Also, I know you were talking earlier about not having toys all over your house. Mostly, it's inevitable, but I do have a tip. I bought the 8 aquare bookcase from IKEA, and it sits behind my couch. Long ways, obviously, so it's 2 squares high and 4 long. Then I found bins online, and that's where most the toys are stored. Easy to clean up and easy for kids to get to the toys. Just a thought for you.

Anonymous said...

my exact thoughts....the green vine or moses basket. I think it would look good with the furniture.

Mars said...

vine or basket. Or the first one, depending on the color of the crib. The others are cute but a little on the girly side I feel. I'm gonna e-mail you something So check your e-mail soon!

PS Word Verification: Chicken. What I had for dinner. haha. And chicken always sounds good.

AND I have some AWESOME & EASY recipes to e-mail you too! I know you would LOVE THEM!

Katrina said...

Love that blue floral but no flowers for a boy.

Also love the green vine.

And I really like the last one. Who cares if he's born in autumn.

Anonymous said...

I like the last two...green basket kind and the lemons.....

Bayloretta said...

I also like the Moses basket print and the lemons. I'm with Katrina, who cares if he's born in autumn. He won't know and as long as you love it, go with it.

Anonymous said...

I like the green one that you said might clash in the room the most. Then I liked the moses looking one. The others were either too girlie or something I think you would get tired of looking at quickly. there was too much going on on it. Plus the first one was my least favorite. My personal preference, but I dont like it that much. It looks dirty. Anyone you choose though will probably look great because you can always pull anything off.

Megan

Marie said...

I like the green vine and the basket weave. I am not very fond of flowers for boys though - so that's why I wouldn't have chosen the others, but that's just me. ;)

Nicole said...

Go with the green vine!! Fun choices. The crib will look so cute!

KristenL said...

I'm with the majority! Green vine and basket looks best (for a boy). I also like the orangey diamonds, but that would look strange with oak.

This is a tough project--don't get discouraged! My mom made my sister's crib bedding and it took us quite a few trips before she found what she was looking for. It'll come to you! :)

KristenL said...

Looking at them again, I realized I really like the lemons too! It totally doesn't matter if he's born in Autumn! It's just fun for a room.

Amy said...

numero tres. [aka the vine-ish fabric]

Is this for a bumper or sheet or crib skirt or all? just curious to know your vision for the crib.

Can't wait to see what you go with.

Kristina said...

I really like the twirly green vine one, choice #3. I love your choices--so unique and fresh!!

I do love the "Too girly for a boy's crib sheets!" selection. It's so bright and happy.

Anonymous said...

I love the third choice and think that it would look awesome with some yellow sheets. I think that baby boys are bound to tightly to the color blue so I like that you have chosen different colors.

Jayci said...

THANKS, everybody!! :D That was really helpful. I think I like the vine one the best too. I held up some teal blue fabric (the fabric for the cabin quilt square a few posts down) and that one looked bright and beautiful with the dark wood and olive-y green color in the room. When I hold up the vine fabric Mark says, "But he's a BOYYY!"...

Is it still too girly?! Jordan I totally think you've hit the nail on the head. I hate that everything boy is BLUE. But with what Mark is saying, should I consider the bright teal?? grrrr.... I think I might just do the green vines. If it doesn't look right after it's all done than I can cover it again with a bright teal. ... right?! ha ha

Thanks everyone!! I'll let you know what I do/what I get/how I do it/ when I do it.

julia said...

i say drop joanne's and look online. try: http://www.beesquarefabrics.com/catalog/index.php?/

i used joanne's fabric for things like burp cloths and bibs, but i couldn't find anything that i liked enough to showcase a whole yard of it somewhere. this site has a lot of good stuff i think. also, reprodepot.com.

i do have the lemon fabric and it's really cute as a bib or as a strip on solid grey for a more (little) manly burp cloth.