June 8, 2009

home again

Last night we flew in at 8:30, found Buckwheat in baggage claim, didn't find one of our bags in baggage claim (guess it wanted to see Ketchikan instead of Anchorage), got picked up by some fabulous friends, squinted into the sunlight and drove on home. 

When Mark checked the mail as I crashed on the couch, he brought me back a surprise from this place: 
My diploma!! I wasn't expecting to feel any different, but I do!! I'm sorta proud of myself:
This morning, Mark gave me a reason to be proud of him. He drove off to work as a captain. I snapped this as he was getting ready. Nice hat, eh?
After waiting until noon for some basement workers (never came), I decided to start my day off with some serious grocery shopping. Buckwheat is sad, I think he got attached to my parents a bit, so I brought him along to cheer him up. We don't know why, but he loves car rides (even in his boo-box!):
Driving home I saw some of Alaska's outdoorsy types:
Noticed how green it is:
Saw the Alaskan pine-trees that remind me so much of Dr. Seuss trees. What do you think?
Then I went outside to our backyard. Besides the Amazon-grass, I noticed the green-belt has turned green!! And there are some beautiful wild flowers back there too:
Buckwheat must have felt like a panther in our jungle:
Sadly, for Buckwheat, Mark cut the grass tonight so our house looks lived-in:
Before:
After:
Can't you just smell the fresh cut grass??
So summery!

6 comments:

Corin & Seth Lucas said...

jace! I had no idea how far along you are! Where have I been? Thanks for commenting on my blog and waking me up! Hello world! lol. Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. Ya...I'll have a lot to learn from you and Sierra when my time comes! We're holding off for a little bit longer tho, so I can finish school! Things to look forward too!

Kristina said...

Man, Alaska is SO gorgeous! I need to make Kurt take me there someday (I don't know if you know, but he spent 3 summers off of Kodiak at a hunting and fishing lodge.)

Hipple Family said...

Congrats to both of you, what great accomplishments!!

Jordan said...

I LOVE these pictures of your every day life. So cute! And YES I did actually smell the grass!!! hahaha you painted such a picture! I can't believe you call his crate a boo-box, oh that makes it so horrible for me even! good thing he doesn't know what it means. -shudder- I read your blog and every day I wish I could spend my free time with you. Boooo. oh and... they do look like Dr. Seuss. I just love you.

Mars said...

Congrats on getting your diploma! So exciting. I love Buckwheat exploring in the grass...mmmmm fresh cut grass! Love that smell. Those tress totally look like Dr. Seuss too. Love them!

aubreyannie said...

i love the dr. seuss trees!! and congrats on your diploma!