May 27, 2009

Day 14 - parade, Columbine, Zio's, and Commission

We have had quite the last couple of days. This morning started out with the Cadet Parade in cold, drizzly Colorado Springs. 

Me and Molly (pre-freeze! Poor Mols was freeezing): 
LOOK!! P-51s from WWII. These made me and Stacey cry a bit.. it was really incredible seeing these planes fly over us. There were 5 total, and they barely were able to be there because of the weather. "The sound of freedom."
This was Mike's LAST parade!! Last time to stomp those fields and get incredibly muddy. That's why he's so dang excited!
Post-Parade... during the freeze. We were about to go pick up Mark and Mamie!
ha! Gotta love the Reeders:
After picking up Mark and Mamie, we swung by to see Columbine H.S. and the Gentry's. We hadn't seen the Gentry's since we were first married!
Columbines, CO's state flower: 
We barely made it to our reservations at Zio's... yum!
Next was the Commissioning Ceremony where Marty read Mike the oath, then Mark and Stacey pinned on his "butter bars."
The new 2nd Lt's celebrating with their bubbly. Mike's "bubbly" was none other than Gatorade! Goooo MIKE!
The commissioning STARTED at 10:00pm! By the time this was finished, it was about 12:00...
Good day, just exhausting! 
Congratulations, Michael! We are all so proud.

3 comments:

Mars said...

yay! So fun! And you went to my old High School! AND remember how we both know the Gentry's. Small world. Glad you survived what sounded like a cold & exhausting day...yet fun. I'm so jealous. I love all the pictures!

Kristina said...

What an amazing family--all having served or serving our country. Very awesome.
I've never seen a Columbine that color before. It's stunning!
You were literally like 6 miles away from me when you were at Columbine. Crazy, huh??
Kurt did run the 10k with me. He could've smoked me and left me in his dust (and I told him he should) but he stayed with me the whole time and coached me through the last mile. I couldn't have done it as well without him.

Jordan said...

Aw, I remember you wanting to set me up with Mike-- maybe I would get to see you more often had we been in-laws!! Sorry colorado was so freeeezing. I did think of mauri though! and the flowers were pretty! and YOU were pretty for a midnight picture! yaaay, I'm loving these day-to-day updates :o)