May 2, 2009

seamstress status

After I redid my star squares (because the old ones were cut too small in the beginning!! - such a lousy, timely mistake) last Thursday, I started this week off by sewing all my squares together to get them into strips. please ignore the cheesey-grin! I had just woken up and was a little loopy still:
Now, with my quilt top complete, I am just about to sew and baste the backing to the batting and top. Then begins the hand-quilting! 

Mark has the better camera with him on his trip (which I get to see all the pictures tonight when I pick him up!), but here is the quilt-top anyway: 
Here is the backing I chose. I have been crazy in love with this color for about 3-4 weeks now (rare for me, since every day I have a different favorite color). It matches pretty well with the satin stitch-thread I did around the stars, too. 
The gold is me comparing a possible binding fabric to the backing fabric. I thought I had more of the green shown in the star above, but I don't have NEARLY enough for binding with that. I'm thinking of just doing the gold sparkly stuff as binding... 

And that is how I have spent a huge part of my week! It feels good to have gotten so much of it done, though. 

8 comments:

AK Thomas Family said...

I absolutely love it. It looks amazing & can't wait to see it all finished:):) Jodie must be proud!!!

The Willis Wonder Years said...

You are seriously amazing! I wish I had even a fourth of your talent! It looks awesome girlie!! Cant wait to see ya in a few weeks!

Bayloretta said...

It looks great! I am waiting for my fabric to get here in the mail, but I am going to be starting my first quilt very soon! I'm sure I'll be coming to you when I start pulling my hair out in frustration!

Katrina said...

Hey Jayci, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm totally impressed with your quilt. I have never attempted such a thing!

So I read some of your posts and we have some fun things in common--you are pregnant with a boy and due almost exactly a year after I was. (My baby was due Aug. 3, he came July 21.) And my mom is also an artist and taught me to love all things art. Also, we have been blogging for almost the exact same amount of time. That's what I got so far, I'm sure there are more! So nice to "meet" you!

Hipple Family said...

I love it, very cute and such good taste! Can't wait to see when your through :)

Mars said...

Holy cow Jayce! You did a good job! Kudos to you for quiliting. I seriously don't think I would even know where to start & it would take me FOREVER to get to that point. Looks great though-I can't wait to see the finished product. I LOVE the color of the backing (obviously-I would). All the colors are great. So vibrant! Makes me happy!

Amy said...

Where are you going to display your quilt?

Jayci said...

on my lap!! :) while I read thrilling books. or cuddle with a baby boy.