May 20, 2009

day 8 - clever. don's and dolls

Today's activities began after my parents' daily routine of walking and gardening. We had our lunch/dinner (lunner?) at this place. Everything I've had here has been so yummy. I'm going to gain about 45 lbs. on this trip. Don't tell anyone. 
After lunch we drove to Owen Beach at Point Defiance. So green:
Don's (you'll meet Don's Market in a moment) kayak rentals:
Driftwood on Owen Beach... La Push?
Puget Sound from Owen Beach:
Then we visited Clever. (check out her blog!)
Her name is Heidi Grace, and we all got to meet her; she even loved Buckwheat! 
You may have even seen her line before if you like paper products and 
all sorts of crafty stuff: 
cute little candy jars dot her shop:
clever., right?
I love mossy stuff, bird cages, and cards. Combined? Ideal!
Above the check out counter is a huge chandelier she's hung with her artwork behind:
a little somethin' somethin' for the baby boy:
more cute cleverness:
I love mobiles, and this is pretty cute!
Her shop is an old street front, with a few doors on the side that were worth a photograph:
Tessa looked pretty urban next to that bright blue color:
Next stop was her neighbor, Don's Market:
Inside, there's a little market, plus an old-time soda bar. 
You can sit here:
or here: 
Along with the market-goods, there are old pieces of the town on display. 
I almost asked if these were for sale. I'd love some:
I ordered a strawberry/banana milkshake. Perhaps I should up my weight gain prediction to 46 lbs?
mmmm:
Final stop of the day was a neighbor of my parents. In the 80s, she got into Barbies. 
Lots and lots and lots of Barbies:
Along with sewing many of the outfits, she has made little perfume-bottles like this (we loved these):
A hippie barbie (peace and love, man). Inside the glass case she looked like a store's manikin:
My favorite, the Red Riding outfit she designed:
And an Around the World Barbie:
It was a full, fun, filling, fun, fun day!

7 comments:

LMemory said...

Your eye for photography gets better and better all the time, I swear! What a fun trip! I love all the little vignettes you capture! And I love your hair (even though I think the picture of your new color is actually up on the blog before this one... ok so I'm skipping around a little bit :)Tell your family I said hi!

Katrina said...

Wow so many interesting little places. Great photos!

Kristina said...

Oh my gosh, you know how to vacation!! I. LOVE. THAT. BEACH. Oh my gosh, so green. And that store is perfectly named: so clever! Fabulous.
To answer your questions:
1) I lifeguarded at a waterpark for 5 years and bi-monthly after close we'd host a kayak rolling class that I guarded for several times. It doesn't look too hard. ^_^
2) Zumi's neck is basically the same size as his head and so collars don't work too well on him, lol. That harness was only like $5.
3) My husband actually lived in Alaksa for 3 summers at Afognak island as a hunting and fishing guide. I want to go to Alaska sooo bad. I'm gonna check out your past posts so I can want to go there more. :D
4) I love your blog too! I'm so glad you came out of your stalker closet (;D) so I can read it!
5) My word verification is 'stomath' which seems very appropriate for the amount of lovely food you documented eating in this post. :D

steve said...

Jayci,
I love your hair too! But it always looks good no matter what you do with it. That picture of Buckwheat and Tessa is PRICELESS!! They are so cute. And Mark's comment was so sweet I almost cried and I'm not even pregnant with crazy hormones!
I think I may have to quit reading your blog though because looking at all of these awesome pictures and places makes me too depressed to live in the desert anymore. But keep posting them because I'm sure I won't be able to resist looking. :)
-Christina

Hipple Family said...

Oh my goodness, looks like your having a blast! I wish I could join you..............

hairyshoefairy said...

That shop looks like the coolest, most fun place to go!

defining amy said...

wow. what stunning pictures!! i love this post. hope you are having so much fun!!